🍯 Subscribe to The Honey Jar Journal and receive $5 off your first order 🐝

Honey for Dogs: A Sweet Treat or a Health Hazard? 

Sourced from Rural Western Australia

Honey for dogs has long been debated, given it is a natural sweetener and a source of numerous health benefits for humans. But what about our furry companions? Can dogs safely enjoy the sweet taste of honey, or does it pose risks to their health? In this blog, we’ll delve into the topic of honey for dogs, exploring its safety, potential benefits, and how to incorporate it into your pet’s diet in a responsible manner. 

Is Honey Safe for Dogs?  
 

Let’s start with the burning question: Is honey safe for dogs? The short answer is yes; honey is generally safe for dogs when given in moderation. It’s non-toxic and contains various vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can be beneficial for your pup’s health. However, like with any treat, moderation is key. While honey can offer some health benefits, excessive consumption can lead to issues such as weight gain, upset stomach, and even diabetes or obesity in the long run. 

Benefits of Honey for Dogs:  

Despite its high sugar content, honey does offer some potential benefits for dogs. It’s rich in antioxidants, which help protect their cells from damage and support overall health. Certain types of honey, such as manuka honey, have antimicrobial properties that can aid in wound healing and promote skin health. Additionally, honey can help soothe a dog’s throat and alleviate coughing, making it a handy home remedy for minor respiratory issues. 

Potential Risks of Honey for Dogs:  

While honey can be a tasty treat for your furry friend, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks associated with it. As mentioned earlier, the high sugar content in honey can lead to weight gain, upset stomach, and other health issues if given excessively. Dogs with diabetes or obesity should avoid honey altogether, and all dogs should consume it in moderation to prevent adverse effects on their health. 

How Much Honey Can Dogs Safely Eat?

Determining the appropriate amount of honey for your dog depends on their size and overall health. As a general rule, treats, including honey, should make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily diet, with the remaining 90% coming from balanced dog food. Here is a handy guide to help you determine the right portion size based on your dog’s weight: 

Extra-small dog (1-9 kilos): 1/4 teaspoon per day 

Small dog (9.5-13 kilos): 1/2 teaspoon per day 

Medium dog (14-18 kilos): 1 teaspoon per day 

Large dog (23-40 kilos): 2 teaspoons per day 

Extra-large dog (41+ kilos): 1 tablespoon per day 

How to Incorporate Honey into Your Dog’s Diet:  

Now that we have covered the basics of honey for dogs let us talk about how to incorporate it into your pet’s diet in a fun and creative way. Here are some ideas to get you started: 

Homemade Dog Treats: Whip up some homemade dog treats using honey as a natural sweetener. You can find many recipes online for honey-infused treats that your pup will love. 

Frozen Treats: Mix honey with peanut butter and freeze it in a KONG toy for a delicious and interactive frozen treat that will keep your dog entertained for hours. 

Doggy Smoothies: Blend honey with dog-safe fruits, veggies, and yogurt to create a nutritious and refreshing smoothie for your dog. Serve it as a standalone treat or drizzle it over their regular food for an extra flavour boost. 

Our Organic Range of Honey

Our range of honey products is certified organic, ensuring the highest quality and purity for your beloved canine companions. Made with natural ingredients and free from harmful chemicals or additives, our organic honey is delicious and promotes your dog’s well-being. Our honey products are crafted with care to provide your furry friends with nature’s finest ingredients. Explore our selection of organic honey by clicking here, and treat your dog to the wholesome goodness they deserve.

Honey can be a safe and enjoyable treat for dogs when given in moderation. While it offers some potential health benefits, monitoring your dog’s intake and consulting with your veterinarian if you have any concerns is essential. By following the guidelines, you can responsibly incorporate honey into your dog’s diet and treat your furry friend to a sweet and nutritious indulgence they’ll love. 

Join the Honey Jar Journal for $5 off 🍯

Subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to hear about our sweet deals and the happenings at Bee Happy!

WELCOME TO the honey pot 🍯

Thanks for subscribing! Enjoy $5 off your next order with the code below. 

HONEYPOT5